So it turns out it was a pretty serious condition he had. In fact the vet said that he might not have survived if we had waited overnight to have him seen. He’s in the emergency vet hospital now, receiving an IV with a catheter so his kidneys can be flushed, his electrolytes were significantly off and he had toxins building up pretty bad last night. It was terrifying when at the vet when the vet tech pressed on his bladder urine mixed with a not-small amount of blood came out and soaked the exam table.
The good news is that it seems like he’ll recover. He doesn’t need surgery, there’s no bladder/kidney/etc stones. He’s doing better this morning, the vet said he’s more alert and seems more comfortable.
The bad news is that the four figure bill means we’re probably going to wait until May to start TTC-ing. I’m not too upset about that actually. I’d rather delay a kid a year than lose my “baby boy” cat. I can’t image a world without him following me around every time I get up to pee in the middle of the night.
Hopefully he may be able to come home tonight. Him being healthy and at home is what I really want for Christmas. I held it together at the vet’s and driving to the emergency vet hospital (even though I got lost because the directions were completely wrong and it was late and dark). But I lost it when I got home without him.
Updated: Apparently as of 10 am he’s not likely to be able to come home today. 😦 This may put a crimp on our Christmas plans. Latte guessed a couple days ago what she’s getting for Christmas, and she told me what her Christmas Eve plans were for us. I’m not sure if we’re going to be in the mood for them with Mauer sick and at the hospital.